- any of several longwinged, American goatsuckers of the genus Chordeiles, related to the whippoorwill, especially C. minor, having variegated black, white, and buff plumage.
- the European goatsucker or nightjar, Caprimulgus europaeus.
- Informal. a person who is habitually up or moving about late at night; night owl.
Origin of nighthawk
Related Words for nighthawklibertine, rake, waster, lecher, wastrel, reprobate, prodigal, degenerate, operator, good-for-nothing, debauchee, swinger, nighthawk, abandoned, corrupt, debauched, depraved, dissipated, evil, fast
Examples from the Web for nighthawk
Historical Examples of nighthawk
But there was nothing he could do now except to agree to Mr. Nighthawk's proposal.
Mr. Nighthawk whined, as he looked hungrily at Kiddie Katydid.
"I hadn't intended to do any leaping to-night," he told Mr. Nighthawk.
And it drove every thought except one out of Mr. Nighthawk's head.
And at last Kiddie Katydid told him that it was Mr. Nighthawk that he had heard.The Tale of Chirpy Cricket
Arthur Scott Bailey
- Also called: bullbat, mosquito hawk any American nightjar of the genus Chordeiles and related genera, having a dark plumage and, in the male, white patches on the wings and tail
- informal another name for night owl