- to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.
- to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.
- a carping, petty criticism.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.
Origin of nitpick
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordssquabble, bicker, carp, waffle, spar, wrangle, excoriate, chastise, denounce, chide, blame, censure, castigate, reprimand, blast, condemn, cavil, criticize, pettifog, fence
- informal to raise petty objections or concern oneself with insignificant details
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nit-pick
"seek petty faults," also nit-pick, 1962, back-formation from earlier nitpicker. Related: Nitpicking; nitpicky.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper