- to denounce or berate severely; flay verbally: He was excoriated for his mistakes.
- to strip off or remove the skin from: Her palms were excoriated by the hard labor of shoveling.
Origin of excoriate
Related Words for excoriaterevile, castigate, chastise, scold, berate, upbraid, lambaste, rebuke, lash, vilify, reproach, condemn, chafe, peel, rub, scratch, strip, flay, scarify, abrade
Examples from the Web for excoriate
Contemporary Examples of excoriate
Newspaper editorials continue to excoriate Netanyahu, even calling for his resignation—editorials written by his supporters.Why Did Netanyahu Release Palestinian Prisoners?
August 6, 2013
It teases and goads the wealthy to be fair rather than excoriate them for being rich.Obama Call for Buffett Rule Is Potent Politics but an Economic Pitfall
April 11, 2012
Those who excoriate the approach as idealistic or unrealistic missed the point.Condi Rice: The Bush 'Freedom Agenda' Won
The Daily Beast
October 23, 2011
That opened a new opportunity for bloggers to excoriate both Duncan and his staff.Teachers Furious at Duncan
May 10, 2011
“Lisa Miller continually uses her column to excoriate faith,” says Cupp.The Right's Favorite Atheist
June 13, 2010
Historical Examples of excoriate
Ghastly faces were staring at her, their lips moving in death to excoriate her.The Last Shot
Its pamphlets went so far as to excoriate allied methods of warfare and to level accusations of inhumanity against the Belgians.Woodrow Wilson and the World War
Five days after this period, I again observed a disposition to excoriate.
You must be careful not to have too much of the Liquid on the rag, for fear it should excoriate the gums or inside of the mouth.The Toilet of Flora
After eating the marrow, which was so acrid as to excoriate the lips, we rendered the bones friable by burning, and ate them also.
- to strip (the skin) from (a person or animal); flay
- med to lose (a superficial area of skin), as by scratching, the application of chemicals, etc
- to denounce vehemently; censure severely
Word Origin for excoriate
- To scratch or otherwise abrade the skin by physical means.