- of, relating to, or characteristic of commerce.
- engaged in commerce.
- prepared, done, or acting with sole or chief emphasis on salability, profit, or success: a commercial product; His attitude toward the theater is very commercial.
- able to yield or make a profit: We decided that the small oil well was not commercial.
- suitable or fit for a wide, popular market: Communications satellites are gradually finding a commercial use.
- suitable for or catering to business rather than private use: commercial kitchen design; commercial refrigeration.
- (of a vehicle or its use)
- engaged in transporting passengers or goods for profit.
- civilian and public, as distinguished from military or private.
- not entirely or chemically pure: commercial soda.
- catering especially to traveling salespeople by offering reduced rates, space for exhibiting products, etc.: a commercial hotel.
- (in U.S. government grading of beef) graded between standard and utility.
- paid for by advertisers: commercial television.
- Radio and Television. a paid advertisement or promotional announcement.
- (in U.S. government grading of beef)
- a low-quality grade of beef between standard and utility.
- a cut of beef of this grade.
- British Informal. a traveling salesperson.
Origin of commercial
Examples from the Web for non-commercial
Contemporary Examples of non-commercial
The stock markets are rigged, the banks operate in a way that is non-commercial, and the yuan is still strictly non-convertible.If You Thought the 2008 Recession Was Bad, Wait Till China's Bubble Pops
September 13, 2012
Historical Examples of non-commercial
I need not here repeat the reasons which induce the non-commercial class of natives to send their letters bearing postage.The Post Office of India and its Story
The State University is the crowning feature of the non-commercial institutions of the city and State.
For non-commercial purposes it is convenient to dissolve it in water (one drachm to a grain of gold).The Art and Practice of Silver Printing
H. P. Robinson
Mr Honey's services are non-commercial to promote the language of business both in English and in German.Mr Honey's Correspondence Dictionary (English-German)
- of, connected with, or engaged in commerce; mercantile
- sponsored or paid for by an advertisercommercial television
- having profit as the main aimcommercial music
- (of goods, chemicals, etc) of unrefined quality or presentation and produced in bulk for use in industry
- a commercially sponsored advertisement on radio or television
"an advertisement broadcast on radio or TV," 1935, from commercial (adj.).