- not essential; not necessary: Nonessential use of gasoline was forbidden during the war.
- a nonessential thing or person.
Origin of nonessential
Synonyms for nonessentialSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for non-essentialaccidental, random, ancillary, coincidental, casual, secondary, paltry, pointless, minuscule, senseless, inconsequential, meaningless, unimportant, infinitesimal, negligible, minor, irrelevant, meager, trivial, minimal
Examples from the Web for non-essential
Contemporary Examples of non-essential
But on several occasions there have been mini-evacuations with non-essential embassy staff withdrawn.U.S. Diplomats and Marines Close Embassy and Flee Libya Fighting
July 27, 2014
Every main level also features three non-essential objectives, giving yet another reason to try and try and try again every time.Gamer Life: I’m Addicted to ‘Peggle 2’
December 11, 2013
Historical Examples of non-essential
In the sphere of the non-essential there is no law,—there you are free.The Essence of Christianity
But was this frankness merely because she was dealing with what was non-essential to her?The Second Fiddle
The visibility or the invisibility of the glory of God does not render it non-essential to him.Absurdities of Immaterialism
There was other happiness in the world besides the non-essential one of love.The Fighting Chance
Robert W. Chambers
He accordingly pronounced it to be non-essential to the validity of warrants.The Press-Gang Afloat and Ashore
John R. Hutchinson
- not essential; not necessary
- biochem (of an amino acid in a particular organism) able to be synthesized from other substances
- a nonessential person or thing
- Being a substance required for normal functioning but not needed in the diet because the body can synthesize it.