See more synonyms for pacifist on Thesaurus.com
- a person who believes in pacifism or is opposed to war or to violence of any kind.
- a person whose personal belief in pacifism causes him or her to refuse being drafted into military service.Compare conscientious objector.
Origin of pacifist
Related formsan·ti·pac·i·fist, noun, adjectivenon·pac·i·fist, nounpro·pac·i·fist, noun, adjectivesem·i·pac·i·fist, adjective, nounun·pac·i·fist, adjective
From the French
dating back to 1905–10.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for non-pacifist
- a person who supports pacifism
- a person who refuses military service
- advocating, relating to, or characterized by pacifism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-pacifist
1903, from French pacifiste (see pacifism). Related: Pacifistic (1902).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper