- the action or practice of curbing or controlling an excessive, rapid spread: nonproliferation of nuclear weapons.
- failure or refusal to proliferate, as in budding or cell division.
- pertaining to diplomatic agreements limiting the spread of nuclear weapons.
Origin of nonproliferation
Related Words for non-proliferationnonproliferation
Examples from the Web for non-proliferation
Contemporary Examples of non-proliferation
A nuclear-armed Iran would be a disaster for international stability and the non-proliferation regime.Israel Must Take a More Diplomatic Approach Toward Iran
December 17, 2013
It risks triggering a nuclear-arms race in the region, and the unraveling of the non-proliferation treaty.Full Text of Obama's Speech to the UN -- Update: Video Added
September 25, 2012
And withdrawing from the Non-Proliferation Treaty or kicking out U.N. nuclear inspectors would implicitly do the same thing.Obama Already Has A Red Line
September 16, 2012
That may have made sense in the 1950s and 1960s, when the outlines of the non-proliferation regime were first established.What Iran's Dictator Got Right
May 3, 2010
This would reduce the threat that Iran could use the uranium for a nuclear weapon and give time for non-proliferation talks.The Deal to Disarm Iran
October 17, 2009
- limitation of the production or spread of something, esp nuclear or chemical weapons
- (as modifier)a nonproliferation treaty
- failure or refusal to proliferate