- to make valid; substantiate; confirm: Time validated our suspicions.
- to give legal force to; legalize.
- to give official sanction, confirmation, or approval to, as elected officials, election procedures, documents, etc.: to validate a passport.
Origin of validate
SynonymsSee more synonyms for validate on Thesaurus.com
1. authenticate, verify, prove.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to confirm or corroborate
- to give legal force or official confirmation to; declare legally valid
Word Origin and History for non-validation
1640s, from Latin validatus, from validus (see valid). Related: Validated; validating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper