See more synonyms for cortical on Thesaurus.com
- Anatomy. of, pertaining to, resembling, or consisting of cortex.
- Physiology. resulting from the function or condition of the cerebral cortex.
- Botany. of or relating to the cortex.
Origin of cortical
1665–75;Related formscor·ti·cal·ly, adverbin·ter·cor·ti·cal, adjectivenon·cor·ti·cal, adjectivenon·cor·ti·cal·ly, adverb
< New Latin corticālis,
equivalent to Latin cortic-
(stem of cortex
+ -ālis -al1
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Word Origin and History for noncortical
1670s, from Modern Latin corticalis, from cortex "bark of a tree" (see cortex).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, derived from, or consisting of cortex.
- Of, relating to, associated with, or depending on the cerebral cortex.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.