- the particular group of persons forming the cabinet at any given time: The prime minister has formed a new government.
- the parliament along with the cabinet: The government has fallen.
Origin of government
Examples from the Web for nongovernmental
Contemporary Examples of nongovernmental
As the nongovernmental organization Jones works for likes to say, it is a “soap opera for social change.”The World’s Most Subversive Soap Operas
October 27, 2013
As Egypt's first lady, she helped to bring dozens of nongovernmental organizations to the country to try to improve Egyptian life.Hosni Mubarak's Final Tragedy
February 13, 2011
- the executive policy-making body of a political unit, community, etc; ministry or administrationyesterday we got a new government
- (capital when of a specific country)the British Government
- the state and its administrationblame it on the government
- (as modifier)a government agency
late 14c., "act of governing or ruling;" 1550s, "system by which a thing is governed" (especially a state), from Old French governement (Modern French gouvernement), from governer (see govern). Replaced Middle English governance. Meaning "governing power" in a given place is from 1702.