- approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
- free from any mental disorder; sane.
- free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
- of natural occurrence.
- being at right angles, as a line; perpendicular.
- of the nature of or pertaining to a mathematical normal.
- (of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.
- (of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.
- (of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.
- (of a solution) containing one equivalent weight of the constituent in question in one liter of solution.
- pertaining to an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight unbranched carbon chain, each carbon atom of which is joined to no more than two other carbon atoms.
- of or relating to a neutral salt in which any replaceable hydroxyl groups or hydrogen atoms have been replaced by other groups or atoms, as sodium sulfate, Na2SO4.
- a perpendicular line or plane, especially one perpendicular to a tangent line of a curve, or a tangent plane of a surface, at the point of contact.
- the portion of this perpendicular line included between its point of contact with the curve and the x-axis.
Origin of normal
Definition for normal (2 of 2)
Examples from the Web for normal
Something like fluoride, which is too small for normal filters, yanks away that feeling of agency.
He appears only normal, even in video footage from just two minutes before the shooting.
The flight path remained close to the Indonesian archipelago, well within what is the normal reach of air traffic control radar.
Six months of sterility results, after which normal fertility returns.Men, Ice Your Balls To Make Babies—and Other Male Fertility Fixes|Tom Sykes|December 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Normal procedure is that any member country can request that a document be circulated, and the UN does it pro-forma.Exclusive: Sony Emails Say Studio Exec Picked Kim Jong-Un as the Villain of ‘The Interview’|William Boot|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Conditions, therefore, which lower the general vitality below the normal produce abnormal fertility.Conception Control and Its Effects on the Individual and the Nation|Florence E. Barrett
Once the changes have taken place, there is no hope of the patient ever recovering the normal use of his limbs.Essays In Pastoral Medicine|Austin Malley
The print of a normal foot shows only the heel, the lateral border of the foot, and the balls and tips of the toes.
It is very probable that the normal foot occurs only in a larger whole, the verse.
Normal life is nothing but that,—a state of equilibrium, a static condition.Philosophic Nights In Paris|Remy De Gourmont
British Dictionary definitions for normal
- being within certain limits of intelligence, educational success or ability, etc
- conforming to the conventions of one's group