- real or genuine; down-to-earth; decent: a regular guy.
- absolute; thoroughgoing: a regular rascal.
- governed by one law throughout.
- (of a polygon) having all sides and angles equal.
- (of a polyhedron) having all faces congruent regular polygons, and all solid angles congruent.
- (of a topological space) having the property that, corresponding to each point and a closed set not containing the point, there are two disjoint open sets, one containing the point, the other containing the closed set.
- (of a function of a complex variable) analytic (def. 5a).
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of regular
OTHER WORDS FROM regular
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH regularregular , routine.
Words nearby regular
Example sentences from the Web for regular
But they say its effect on the regular daily operation of organized crime has been negligible.
His hero, Bruce Springsteen, is a gazillionaire, but he still manages to come across as a regular guy, so perception is reality.
And with regular clients that see him at least twice a month, relationships inevitably form.Career-Minded Women Turn to Male Escorts For No-Strings Fun and (Maybe) Sex|Aurora Snow|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Yet the email references the 1970s, “when police officers were ambushed and executed on a regular basis.”
Park employees helped John quit tobacco by way of a butts-proof glass enclosure, a drastic change in diet, and regular exercise.Zebra Finches, Dolphins, Elephants, and More Animals Under the Influence|Bill Schulz|December 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They are just a regular chair—with a long desk, something like this here.Warren Commission (7 of 26): Hearings Vol. VII (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
If stamping is desired, make rows of small circles, regular or irregular, by using the nail set and a wood mallet.The Boy Mechanic, Book 2|Various
The light was not regular—it disappeared at regular intervals, was blotted out.The Street of Seven Stars|Mary Roberts Rinehart
Current topics, too, are well worthy constant study, and these can be used as a sort of prelude to any regular program.Woman's Club Work and Programs|Caroline French Benton
But he was a regular tyrant over the rest of the boys; they were more than half afraid of him; I don't know but what I was myself.Tip Lewis and His Lamp|Pansy
British Dictionary definitions for regular
- (of a polygon) equilateral and equiangular
- (of a polyhedron) having identical regular polygons as faces that make identical angles with each other
- (of a prism) having regular polygons as bases
- (of a pyramid) having a regular polygon as a base and the altitude passing through the centre of the base
- another name for analytic (def. 5)