- to come into possession of; get, acquire, or procure, as through an effort or by a request: to obtain permission; to obtain a better income.
- Obsolete. to attain or reach.
- to be prevalent, customary, or in vogue; prevail: the morals that obtained in Rome.
- Archaic. to succeed.
Origin of obtain
Synonyms for obtainSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for obtain
Related Words for obtainableattainable, derivable, procurable, pushover, ready, gettable, purchasable, securable
Examples from the Web for obtainable
Historical Examples of obtainable
Where such a flame is not obtainable, a hot carbon rod is used.The Automobile Storage Battery
O. A. Witte
Surely the information is obtainable, if not from Mr. Morley, then from some other source.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
No gold nor ivory nor other article of value was obtainable.Impressions of South Africa
Only by doing the will of the Father is the saving grace of the Son obtainable.Jesus the Christ
James Edward Talmage
Meat is often used—when obtainable—dried, in strips, generally of beef.Mexico
Charles Reginald Enock
- (tr) to gain possession of; acquire; get
- (intr) to be customary, valid, or accepteda new law obtains in this case
- (tr) archaic to arrive at
- (intr) archaic to win a victory; succeed