[uh-kur-uh ns, uh-kuhr-]
- the action, fact, or instance of occurring.
- something that happens; event; incident: We were delayed by several unexpected occurrences.
Origin of occurrence
1530–40; occurr(ent) + -ence; compare Medieval Latin occurrentia
SynonymsSee more synonyms for occurrence on Thesaurus.com
2. circumstance. See event.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- philosophy (of a property) relating to some observable feature of its bearerCompare disposition (def. 4)
- something that occurs; a happening; event
- the act or an instance of occurringa crime of frequent occurrence
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for occurrent
1530s, from Middle French occurrence "unexpected happening" or directly from Medieval Latin occurrentia, from Latin occurentem (nominative occurens), present participle of occurrere (see occur).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper