- the act of approving; approbation.
- formal permission or sanction.
- Philately. one of a group of selected stamps sent by a dealer to a prospective customer for examination and either purchase or return.
- on approval, without obligation to buy unless satisfactory to the customer upon trial or examination and, otherwise, returnable: We ship merchandise on approval.
Origin of approval
- the act of approving
- formal agreement; sanction
- a favourable opinion; commendation
- on approval (of articles for sale) for examination with an option to buy or return
Word Origin and History for on approval
Idioms and Phrases with on approval
To be returned if not satisfactory, as in They're offering custom-made shoes, manufactured from a computer design, on approval. This expression, applied nearly always to the purchase of goods, was first recorded in 1870.
see on approval; seal of approval.