Words nearby once
Idioms for once
- simultaneously: The children were running, screaming, and throwing things all at once.
- suddenly: All at once the rain came down.
- at the same time; simultaneously: Don't all speak at once.
- immediately; promptly: Tell him to come at once!
British Dictionary definitions for once upon a time
- suddenly or without warning
Word Origin for once
Idioms and Phrases with once upon a time (1 of 2)
On some past occasion, as in I may have sung this piece once upon a time, but I don't really remember it. This phrase, first recorded in 1595, is frequently used as the opening line of fairy tales and stories told to children, as in Once upon a time there was a king who had three beautiful daughters.
Idioms and Phrases with once upon a time (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with once
- once and for all
- once bitten, twice shy
- once in a blue moon
- once in a lifetime
- once in a while
- once over lightly
- once upon a time
- all at once
- at once
- every now and then (once in a while)
- give someone the once-over