- the policy of admitting people of all nationalities or ethnic groups to a country upon equal terms, as for immigration.
- the policy or practice of trading with all nations on an equal basis.
- admission or access; unrestricted opportunity: His experience had given him an open door to success in his field.
Origin of open door
First recorded in 1520–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a policy or practice by which a nation grants opportunities for trade to all other nations equally
- free and unrestricted admission
- open to all; accessible
- (in industrial relations) designating a policy of management being prepared to talk to workers in the office at any time
Idioms and Phrases with open doors
see open the door to.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.