- Philosophy. the view that some systems resemble organisms in having parts that function in relation to the whole to which they belong.Compare holism(def 1).
- Pathology. the doctrine that all symptoms arise from organic disease.
- a view of society as an autonomous entity analogous to and following the same developmental pattern as a biological organism.
Origin of organicism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the theory that the functioning of living organisms is determined by the working together of all organs as an integrated system
- the theory that all symptoms are caused by organic disease
- the theory that each organ of the body has its own peculiar constitution
- The theory that all disease is associated with structural alterations of organs.
- The theory that the total organization of an organism, rather than the functioning of individual organs, is the principal or exclusive determinant of every life process.