[ awr-thog-uh-nl ]
/ ɔrˈθɒg ə nl /
Save This Word!
- Also orthographic. pertaining to or involving right angles or perpendiculars: an orthogonal projection.
- (of a system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the product of any two different functions is zero.
- (of a system of complex functions) defined so that the integral of the product of a function times the complex conjugate of any other function equals zero.
- (of two vectors) having an inner product equal to zero.
- (of a linear transformation) defined so that the length of a vector under the transformation equals the length of the original vector.
- (of a square matrix) defined so that its product with its transpose results in the identity matrix.
Crystallography. referable to a rectangular set of axes.
having no bearing on the matter at hand; independent of or irrelevant to another thing or each other: It’s an interesting question, but orthogonal to our exploration of the right to privacy.
SHALL WE PLAY A "SHALL" VS. "SHOULD" CHALLENGE?
Should you take this quiz on “shall” versus “should”? It should prove to be a quick challenge!
Question 1 of 6
Which form is used to state an obligation or duty someone has?
Origin of orthogonal
OTHER WORDS FROM orthogonalor·thog·o·nal·i·ty [awr-thog-uh-nal-i-tee], /ɔrˌθɒg əˈnæl ɪ ti/, nounor·thog·o·nal·ly, adverb
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2022
How to use orthogonal in a sentence
Straight: Circle cutting the fundamental plane orthogonally.
Projecting orthogonally on a plane perpendicular to the central axis we obtain two reciprocal figures.
British Dictionary definitions for orthogonal
/ (ɔːˈθɒɡənəl) /
relating to, consisting of, or involving right angles; perpendicular
- (of a pair of vectors) having a defined scalar product equal to zero
- (of a pair of functions) having a defined product equal to zero
Derived forms of orthogonalorthogonally, adverb
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Scientific definitions for orthogonal
[ ôr-thŏg′ə-nəl ]
Relating to or composed of right angles.
Relating to a matrix whose transpose equals its inverse.
Relating to a linear transformation that preserves the length of vectors.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.