[noun out-bak; adjective, adverb out-bak]Australian
- (sometimes initial capital letter) the back country or remote settlements; the bush (usually preceded by the).
- of, relating to, or located in the back country: outback settlements.
- in or to the back country: They moved outback many years ago.
Origin of outback
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for out backbackcountry, outback, wilderness, jungle, wasteland, desert, forest, province, boondocks, frontier, isolation, woodland, hinterland, interior, timberland, bush, wild, waste, barrens
- the remote bush country of Australia
- (as modifier)outback life
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
see under out front.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.