- an assemblage of articles that equip a person for a particular task, role, trade, etc.: an explorer's outfit.
- a set of usually matching or harmonious garments and accessories worn together; coordinated costume; ensemble: a new spring outfit.
- a set of articles for any purpose: a cooking outfit.
- a group associated in an undertaking requiring close cooperation, as a military unit.
- a business firm engaged in a particular form of commercial enterprise: a construction outfit.
- any company, party, or set.
- the act of fitting out or equipping for any purpose, as for a voyage, journey, or expedition.
- mental, physical, or moral equipment.
- to furnish with an outfit, equipment, etc.; fit out; equip: to outfit an expedition to the South Pole.
- Nautical. to finish equipping (a vessel) at a dock.
- to furnish oneself with an outfit.
Origin of outfit
Synonyms for outfitSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for outfittingappoint, drape, gear, prepare, supply, provide, tog, accoutre, suit, provision, arm, furnish, stock
Examples from the Web for outfitting
Contemporary Examples of outfitting
There are a few problems with outfitting an entire office with treadmill desks.Work Like Churchill-Ditch Your Office Chair and Embrace the Standing Desk
June 2, 2014
Fans of Bettie Page have her to thank for discovering the rule-breaking pin-up girl and outfitting her in animal skins.The Queen of the Playboy Centerfolds
May 31, 2014
Outfitting the family feline or canine has never been a more popular pastime.Most Popular Pet Halloween Costumes
October 11, 2011
I am driven to Base Camp, a series of trailers where an hour has been allotted for makeup and outfitting.My All-Too-Brief Acting Career
July 5, 2011
Historical Examples of outfitting
But when I was outfitting I could not get near enough phenacetin.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
From long practice Blythe was an adept at outfitting a yacht for a cruise.The Pirate of Panama
William MacLeod Raine
Therefore, the question of outfitting was a problem to be taken seriously.Connie Morgan in the Fur Country
James B. Hendryx
He had come to St. Louis in 1804 and become an adept in outfitting.The Conquest
Eva Emery Dye
He will look forward to the education and outfitting of his children.The Real Jesus of the Four Gospels
J. B. Atwater
- a set of articles or equipment for a particular task, occupation, etc
- a set of clothes, esp a carefully selected one
- informal any group or association regarded as a cohesive unit, such as a military company, business house, etc
- the act of fitting out
- Canadian (formerly) the annual shipment of trading goods and supplies sent by a fur company to its trading posts
- to furnish or be furnished with an outfit, equipment, etc
1840, from outfit (n.). Related: Outfitted; outfitting; outfitter.