- an assemblage of articles that equip a person for a particular task, role, trade, etc.: an explorer's outfit.
- a set of usually matching or harmonious garments and accessories worn together; coordinated costume; ensemble: a new spring outfit.
- a set of articles for any purpose: a cooking outfit.
- a group associated in an undertaking requiring close cooperation, as a military unit.
- a business firm engaged in a particular form of commercial enterprise: a construction outfit.
- any company, party, or set.
- the act of fitting out or equipping for any purpose, as for a voyage, journey, or expedition.
- mental, physical, or moral equipment.
- to furnish with an outfit, equipment, etc.; fit out; equip: to outfit an expedition to the South Pole.
- Nautical. to finish equipping (a vessel) at a dock.
- to furnish oneself with an outfit.
Origin of outfit
Synonyms for outfitSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for outfitgarb, tackle, costume, rig, clothing, apparatus, paraphernalia, rigging, suit, supplies, trappings, gear, provisions, materiel, kit, wardrobe, outlay, ensemble, machinery, guise
Examples from the Web for outfit
Contemporary Examples of outfit
They let us get ahead of the outfit, then the rest of the guys came in.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile
January 3, 2015
Style-wise, there has perhaps been just one outfit that could be described as a miss since Kate returned to active service.Kate Middleton, the Preggers Fashion Princess
November 14, 2014
So they disguise themselves in these big white suits that are something like cross between a KKK outfit and a beekeeping suit.Mississippi Hippos, Teddy Bears, and Other Strange Beasts
July 25, 2014
The outfit was listed as a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2010.Christian Radio Host Says Obama Politicized MH17 to Normalize ‘Sexual Deviancy’
July 20, 2014
For everyone else, the unremitting stream of appearances, outfit changes, photo shoots and flights soon becomes wearisome.Inside ‘Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’: The Reality Star’s Aspirational App and Vainest Project Yet
June 23, 2014
Historical Examples of outfit
The villain from whom I hired the outfit said it was complete.In the Midst of Alarms
Even the outfit of the boarders must be approved by the same authority.In the Heart of Vosges
She was the most meagre craft, in the way of outfit, I ever put to sea in.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
But the owner of this outfit, a born hunter, took a keen interest in Wahb.The Biography of a Grizzly
We interpreted this as an answer, and made up an outfit for five.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
- a set of articles or equipment for a particular task, occupation, etc
- a set of clothes, esp a carefully selected one
- informal any group or association regarded as a cohesive unit, such as a military company, business house, etc
- the act of fitting out
- Canadian (formerly) the annual shipment of trading goods and supplies sent by a fur company to its trading posts
- to furnish or be furnished with an outfit, equipment, etc
1840, from outfit (n.). Related: Outfitted; outfitting; outfitter.