- the act of turning out; production: the factory's output of cars; artistic output.
- the quantity or amount produced, as in a given time: to increase one's daily output.
- the material produced or yield; product.
- the current, voltage, power, or signal produced by an electrical or electronic circuit or device.Compare input(def 4).
- information in a form suitable for transmission from internal to external units of a computer, or to an outside medium.
- the process of transferring data from internal storage to an external medium, as paper or microfilm.
- the power or force produced by a machine.
- Computers. to transfer (information) from internal storage to an external medium.
- to produce; turn out.
Origin of output
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of production or manufacture
- Also called: outturn the amount produced, as in a given perioda high weekly output
- the material produced, manufactured, yielded, etc
- the power, voltage, or current delivered by a circuit or component
- the point at which the signal is delivered
- the power, energy, or work produced by an engine or a system
- the information produced by a computer
- the operations and devices involved in producing this informationSee also input/output
- (modifier) of or relating to electronic, computer, or other outputoutput signal; output device; output tax
- computing to cause (data) to be emitted as output
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for outputted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The amount produced, ejected, or excreted by an entity during a specified time.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The energy, power, or work produced by a system or device.
- The information that a computer produces by processing a specific input. Compare input device.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.