- simple past tense of outgo.
- to go beyond; outdistance: to outgo the minimum rquirements.
- to surpass, excel, or outdo: Each child was encouraged to outgo the others.
- Archaic. to go faster than; excel in speed.
Origin of outgo
Related Words for outwentoutweigh, exceed, beat, outperform, top, eclipse, rank, outstrip, pass, outpace, overstep, outshine, outdistance, outrank, transcend, excel, surmount, outdo, outgo, better
Examples from the Web for outwent
Historical Examples of outwent
His religious sympathies, however, outwent all sectarian limits.Reminiscences, 1819-1899
Julia Ward Howe.
But the ardor of his mind was such that he outwent his authors.1492
They met all together in the creek where the two brigandines were, which outwent their fellowes.
They met all together in the creek where the two brigantines were which outwent their fellows.
To be addressed in that style by a great burly thief of an English skin-buyer, outwent all comprehension.The Three Perils of Man, Vol. 3 (of 3)
- (tr) to exceed or outstrip
- cost; outgoings; outlay
- something that goes out; outflow