- the state of relying on or needing someone or something for aid, support, or the like.
- reliance; confidence; trust: Her complete reliability earned her our dependence.
- an object of reliance or trust.
- the state of being conditional or contingent on something, as through a natural or logical sequence: the dependence of an effect upon a cause.
- the state of being psychologically or physiologically dependent on a drug after a prolonged period of use.
- subordination or subjection: the dependence of Martinique upon France.
Origin of dependence
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the state or fact of being too dependent, esp for help or support
sometimes US dependance
- the state or fact of being dependent, esp for support or help
- reliance; trust; confidence
- rare an object or person relied upon
Word Origin and History for overdependence
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The state of being dependent, as for support.
- Subordination to someone or something needed or greatly desired.
- A compulsive or chronic need; an addiction.