- an act or instance of employing someone or something.
- the state of being employed; employ; service: to begin or terminate employment.
- an occupation by which a person earns a living; work; business.
- the total number of people gainfully employed or working.
- an activity or the like that occupies a person's time: She found knitting a comforting employment for her idle hours.
Origin of employment
Synonyms for employment
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for overemployment
Contemporary Examples of overemployment
First, organizations need to wake up and see the costs of overemployment.America's Hidden Overemployment Problem
September 3, 2011
- the act of employing or state of being employed
- the work or occupation in which a person is employed
- the purpose for which something is used
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper