- the vast grassy plains of southern South America, especially in Argentina.
Origin of pampas
- a city in N Texas.
Related Words for pampaspasture, prairie, plain, steppe, savanna, field, range, llano, pampas, sward, veldt, campo, swarth
Examples from the Web for pampas
Historical Examples of pampas
His plane, slow though it was, would carry him to the pampas.
The Egyptian cat and the Pampas cat are sandy or earth-coloured.
This very striking when we think of cattle of Pampas, plants ?The Foundations of the Origin of Species
Were they wild beasts from the Pampas, or herds of llamas and vicunas?
A long while ago; the sun has brought two summers since then to the Pampas.
- (functioning as singular or more often plural)
- the extensive grassy plains of temperate South America, esp in Argentina
- (as modifier)pampas dwellers
Word Origin for pampas
Word Origin and History for pampas
"large plains of South America," 1704, from Spanish pampas, plural of pampa, from Quechua (Peru) pampa "a plain."
- An extensive, treeless grassland of southern South America.