- the state of being patent.
- Medicine/Medical. the condition of not being blocked or obstructed.
- Phonetics. openness of articulation, found more or less in all phonemes except stops.
Origin of patency
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the condition of being obvious
- the state of a bodily passage, duct, etc, of being open or unobstructed
- phonetics the degree to which the vocal tract remains unobstructed in the articulation of a speech soundSee also closure (def. 7)
Word Origin and History for patency
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The state or quality of being open, expanded, or unblocked.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.