- having all parts or members present.
- noting an action or state brought to a close prior to some temporal point of reference, in contrast to imperfect or incomplete action.
- designating a tense or other verb formation or construction with such meaning.
- of or noting the consonances of unison, octave, and fifth, as distinguished from those of the third and sixth. Compare imperfect (def. 6).
- of or noting the intervals, harmonic or melodic, of an octave, fifth, and fourth in their normal form, as opposed to augmented and diminished.
verb (used with object)
BEAT THE DOLDRUMS WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of perfect
synonym study for perfect
usage note for perfect
OTHER WORDS FROM perfect
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH perfectperfect , prefect
Example sentences from the Web for perfect
It takes Sharp four hours to get into character: “I take joy in the mathematical, symmetrical precision and perfectness of Bach.”
Man might fail to fulfill his self-chosen vow, but God's law must be preserved in its divine integrity and perfectness.Notes on the book of Exodus|C. H. (Charles Henry) Mackintosh
He is “the bond of perfectness,” the key-stone of the arch, the centre of the wheel.The Expositor's Bible: Colossians and Philemon|Alexander Maclaren
Now, this ideal is clearly one of perfectness and completeness of mere form.Cornell Nature-Study Leaflets|Various
The splendor of the world is due to mining and to the perfectness of man's ability to work the minerals which the mines supply.The Wedge of Gold|C. C. Goodwin
It pressed the martyr's crown upon his brow till the perfectness of his grudge against a hateful world lacked nor jot nor tittle.Queed|Henry Sydnor Harrison
British Dictionary definitions for perfect
- (of flowers) having functional stamens and pistils
- (of plants) having all parts present
- of or relating to the intervals of the unison, fourth, fifth, and octave
- Also: full, final (of a cadence) ending on the tonic chord, giving a feeling of conclusionCompare imperfect (def. 6)
- the perfect tense
- a verb in this tense