- pertaining to, situated in, or constituting the periphery: peripheral resistance on the outskirts of the battle area.
- concerned with relatively minor, irrelevant, or superficial aspects of the subject in question.
- Anatomy. near the surface or outside of; external.
- Computers. of or relating to a peripheral.
- Computers. a device or unit that operates separately from the CPU but is connected to it, as a magnetic disk or tape unit or a printer.
Origin of peripheral
Related Words for peripheralsperipheral, item, factor, piece, segment, unit, ingredient, constituent, fixings, making, plug-in
Examples from the Web for peripherals
Contemporary Examples of peripherals
It will allow developers to build their own peripherals for Android phones.Here’s Why Apple and Samsung Are Breaking Up
December 31, 2012
And if that hadn't created a dependent-enough user base, the company's Apple-only peripherals policy made them even more so.Apple’s Army of Whiners
June 22, 2009
Historical Examples of peripherals
While the reliability record of the central processors has been excellent, that of many of the peripherals has not.
Software developed by a computer manufacturer usually takes advantage of the peculiarities of his own peripherals.
- not relating to the most important part of something; incidental, minor, or superficial
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a periphery
- anatomy of, relating to, or situated near the surface of the bodya peripheral nerve
- Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery.
- Perceived or perceiving near the outer edges of the retina.
- Of or relating to the surface or outer part of a body or organ; external.
- Of, relating to, or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Anatomy Relating to or being the surface or outer part of a body or organ.
- Relating to or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Computer Science An auxiliary device, such as a printer or modem, distinct from a computer's central processing unit and working memory, and often connected externally.
Any part that is separate from a computer's CPU, such as a printer, a keyboard, or a monitor.