- pertaining to, situated in, or constituting the periphery: peripheral resistance on the outskirts of the battle area.
- concerned with relatively minor, irrelevant, or superficial aspects of the subject in question.
- Anatomy. near the surface or outside of; external.
- Computers. of or relating to a peripheral.
- Computers. a device or unit that operates separately from the CPU but is connected to it, as a magnetic disk or tape unit or a printer.
Origin of peripheral
Related Words for peripheralincidental, tangential, borderline, inessential, surface, external, exterior, minor, secondary, irrelevant, outer, outermost, superficial, unimportant, perimetric
Examples from the Web for peripheral
Contemporary Examples of peripheral
The play of Sunday, the play of being angels in the choir, is not just a peripheral secondary marginal realm of activity.Joseph Campbell on the Roots of Halloween
October 31, 2014
Because his new novel, The Peripheral, is his most dire yet.The Daily Beast’s Best Longreads, Oct 20-26, 2014
October 26, 2014
Then I saw something in my peripheral vision, close to my back.Why Americans Should Love the World Cup
June 12, 2014
Every few weeks I get so far behind on sleep that I lose my peripheral vision.Why Men Shouldn’t Wait To Have Kids
Conor P. Williams
March 8, 2014
They were a small and peripheral player, and now they want to be a main player—if not the main player.Qatar Sends Aid Money to Help Egypt
April 11, 2013
Historical Examples of peripheral
Then the peripheral soul will return; and we have our safe, sane citizen again.Cabbages and Kings
The process is, moreover, confined to peripheral manifestations.The Sexual Life of the Child
If the wall of the hollow lens be rather thick, the difference in the shape of the central and peripheral pores is often striking.
Spongy disk lenticular, with an irregular, dense framework, in the centre darker than in the peripheral part.
With reference to the peripheral nerve-stems there is not much to be said.The Works of Francis Maitland Balfour, Volume 1
Francis Maitland Balfour
- not relating to the most important part of something; incidental, minor, or superficial
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a periphery
- anatomy of, relating to, or situated near the surface of the bodya peripheral nerve
- Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery.
- Perceived or perceiving near the outer edges of the retina.
- Of or relating to the surface or outer part of a body or organ; external.
- Of, relating to, or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Anatomy Relating to or being the surface or outer part of a body or organ.
- Relating to or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Computer Science An auxiliary device, such as a printer or modem, distinct from a computer's central processing unit and working memory, and often connected externally.
Any part that is separate from a computer's CPU, such as a printer, a keyboard, or a monitor.