[pod-kast, ‐kahst]Digital Technology
- a digital audio or video file or recording, usually part of a themed series, that can be downloaded from a website to a media player or computer: Download or subscribe to daily, one-hour podcasts of our radio show.
- to record and upload as a podcast: He podcasts once a week on various topics. She podcasts her lectures.
Origin of podcast
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an audio file similar to a radio broadcast, which can be downloaded and listened to on a computer, mp3 player, mobile phone, etc
- (intr) to create such files and make them available for downloading
- (tr) to make (music, interviews, etc) available using this format
from i (Pod) + broad (cast)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for podcaster
2004, noun and verb, from pod-, from iPod, brand of portable media player, + second element abstracted from broadcast. Related: Podcasting.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper