- one of a group of nonallelic genes that together control a quantitative characteristic in an organism.
Origin of polygene
Also called multiple factor, quantitative gene.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, relating to, or controlled by polygenespolygenic inheritance
- any of a group of genes that each produce a small quantitative effect on a particular characteristic of the phenotype, such as height
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to a characteristic or disease controlled by the interaction of genes at more than one locus.
- One of a group of nonallelic genes acting together to produce quantitative variations of a particular character.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.