- capable of being considered carefully or deeply.
- capable of being weighed; having appreciable weight.
Origin of ponderable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ponderable
The sources of this vibration are the ponderable masses of the universe.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
The wind pours over us, an icy and ponderable flood, and is increasing.Old Junk
H. M. Tomlinson
The sources of vibration are the ponderable masses of the universe.The World Before the Deluge
According to this view, some force keeps it there, yet it is not ponderable.Outlines of a Mechanical Theory of Storms
There are forces outside military power more visible and ponderable than these.
- able to be evaluated or estimated; appreciable
- capable of being weighed or measured
- (often plural) something that can be evaluated or appreciated; a substantial thing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012