- pertaining to or situated behind the axis of the body, especially the posterior side of the axis of a limb.
Origin of postaxial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for postaxial
The biserial archipterygium consists of a segmented axial rod, bearing a praeaxial and a postaxial series of jointed rays.
The proximal part of the postaxial surface also bears a small outgrowth.
Each limb then has a dorsal surface, a ventral surface, an anterior or pre-axial edge, and a posterior or postaxial edge.
In the anterior limb the radius and the pollex are pre-axial, the ulna and the fifth finger are postaxial.
In the posterior limb the tibia and the hallux are pre-axial, the fibula and the fifth toe are postaxial.
- situated or occurring behind the axis of the body
- of or relating to the posterior part of a vertebrate limb
- Posterior to the axis of the body or to the axis of a limb in the anatomical position.
- Of or being the portion of a limb bud lying caudal to the axis of the limb.