- the state, condition, or quality of being pregnant.
Origin of pregnancy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pregnancy
In 1983, a military government made abortion legal up to 10 weeks of pregnancy.Allah, Mom, and Baklava: Turkish President Uses Mothers and Kids as Political Pawns
November 27, 2014
Valenti already had a daughter—a pregnancy that almost killed both mother and baby.Women Share Their Secret Abortion Stories For 1 in 3 Campaign
November 20, 2014
The news is being taken as confirmation that Kate is fully recovered from her pregnancy sickness.Why Prince George Won't Be Coming To NY and DC With Will And Kate
November 17, 2014
Kate has made just a handful of public appearances since the announcement of her second pregnancy.
For many young women, pregnancy is a great excuse to take a break from the pressure to be fashionable.
The hygiene of pregnancy, labor and its sequels, is of the highest importance.
Figure 21 shows a human embryo at the beginning of the fifth week of pregnancy.
The phenomena of pregnancy, birth and suckling are known to all, so that I shall be brief.
They will then cease to hide their pregnancy and to be ashamed of it.
Pregnancy and childbirth play a large part in their delirium.
- the state or condition of being pregnant
- the period from conception to childbirth
Word Origin and History for pregnancy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The condition of a woman or female mammal from conception until birth; the condition of being pregnant.
- The period during which a woman or female mammal is pregnant.cyesis
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The condition of carrying developing offspring within the body.
- The time period during which this condition exists; gestation.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.