- Medicine/Medical. a drug or other substance for preventing disease.
- a preventive agent or measure.
Origin of preventive
Examples from the Web for preventive
Contemporary Examples of preventive
Migraine drugs fall into two categories: preventive and abortive.How to Destroy Your Headaches
Dr. Anand Veeravagu, MD, Tej Azad
June 23, 2014
Now, preventive protocols—like mammograms, colonoscopies, and Prostate-Specific Antigen tests—are being questioned.Clinton Doc: This Is How We’ll Fix Health Care
June 12, 2014
Our current preventive routine focuses on treating such cardiac risk factors as hypertension and cholesterol.Doctors Should Start Advocating Dietary Options to Treat Heart Disease
July 11, 2013
Already, the law has provided 54 million Americans free access to preventive services like check-ups and mammograms.The GOP Is Terrified Obamacare Could Be a Success
July 11, 2013
By that he means solitary confinement is intended to be preventive, not punitive.Extreme Solitary Confinement: What Did Bradley Manning Experience?
June 5, 2013
Historical Examples of preventive
I regret to say that I have no specific to give as a preventive for sea-sickness.Literary Tours in The Highlands and Islands of Scotland
Daniel Turner Holmes
But the preventive power was what they preferred to exercise.Policing the Plains
I understand some fool urged her to try this as a preventive of mal-de-mer.
Similarly, by preventive measures, we are controlling the other diseases.
Unexpected as it may seem, vaccination is not only a preventive of smallpox, but a cure for it.
- tending or intended to prevent or hinder
- tending to prevent disease; prophylactic
- of or relating to the branch of medicine concerned with prolonging life and preventing disease
- (in Britain) of, relating to, or belonging to the customs and excise service or the coastguard
- something that serves to prevent or hinder
- med any drug or agent that tends to prevent or protect against disease
- another name for contraceptive
- Preventing or slowing the course of an illness or disease; prophylactic.
- A preventive agent or treatment.