- lying toward or situated in the west: our company's western office.
- directed or proceeding toward the west: a western migration.
- coming or originating from the west, as a wind.
- (often initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, living in, or characteristic of the West, especially the western U.S.: a Western ranch.
- (usually initial capital letter) Occidental: to adopt Western dress.
- (usually initial capital letter) of or relating to the non-Communist countries of Europe and the Americas: Western trade agreements.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Western Church.
- (often initial capital letter) a story, movie, or radio or television play about the U.S. West of the 19th century.
- western sandwich.
- a person or thing from a western region or country.
Origin of western
Examples from the Web for pro-western
Contemporary Examples of pro-western
That Stone would slander the democratic, pro-Western, EuroMaidan revolution as a CIA coup is no surprise.Oliver Stone’s Latest Dictator Suckup
January 5, 2015
He said that only young, pro-Western officers should be promoted to key positions.What to Do When Russia Invades Your Country
May 7, 2014
And Echo of Moscow has one of the most pro-Western audiences in Russia.A Virtual Iron Curtain Closes In on Russia’s Intelligentsia
April 7, 2014
Red Cross volunteers provided free medicine to both pro-Western and pro-Eastern camps in Kiev this weekend.Poor Ukrainians Rally For Russia
December 15, 2013
Eli Lake talks with a commander of the pro-Western opposition about a new front in the civil war.Al Qaeda Clash With Free Syrian Army a New Stage of Opposition Split
September 17, 2013
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the West as opposed to the Orient
- (formerly) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Americas and the parts of Europe not under Communist rule
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the western states of the US
- a film, book, etc, concerned with life in the western states of the US, esp during the era of exploration and early development
- situated in or towards or facing the west
- going or directed to or towards the west
- (of a wind, etc) coming or originating from the west
- native to, inhabiting, or growing in the west
- music See country and western
"toward or of the west," Old English westerne (see west) + -erne, suffix denoting direction. The noun meaning "book or movie about the Old West" is first attested 1909.