- of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research.
- based on or reconstructed from an event, custom, style, etc., in the past: a historical reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg.
- having once existed or lived in the real world, as opposed to being part of legend or fiction or as distinguished from religious belief: to doubt that a historical Camelot ever existed; a theologian's study of the historical Jesus.
- narrated or mentioned in history; belonging to the past.
- noting or pertaining to analysis based on a comparison among several periods of development of a phenomenon, as in language or economics.
- historic(def 1).
Origin of historical
Synonyms for historical
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- belonging to or typical of the study of historyhistorical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the pasthistorical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by historya historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
- a less common word for historic (def. 1)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper