[hi-stawr-i-kuh l, -stor-]
- of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research.
- based on or reconstructed from an event, custom, style, etc., in the past: a historical reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg.
- having once existed or lived in the real world, as opposed to being part of legend or fiction or as distinguished from religious belief: to doubt that a historical Camelot ever existed; a theologian's study of the historical Jesus.
- narrated or mentioned in history; belonging to the past.
- noting or pertaining to analysis based on a comparison among several periods of development of a phenomenon, as in language or economics.
- historic(def 1).
Origin of historical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for historical on Thesaurus.com
3. documented, authentic, factual, attested.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for historical
Historical justifications for most modern celebrations can be found in the ancient world.New Year’s Eve, Babylon Style
December 31, 2014
Hitchcock had the historical good fortune to have worked from silent films through television.
The central thrust of the sequence derives from historical fact.
If there was anyone who thought otherwise, he left no historical record.Stonewall Jackson, VMI’s Most Embattled Professor
S. C. Gwynne
November 29, 2014
The narrative is a remarkable piece of historical research that spans just over 800 pages.Napoleon Was a Dynamite Dictator
November 7, 2014
The book, this last declared, was the "beau-ideal of historical romance."
Sometimes a literary or historical picture creeps into the text.
To do this we must rely upon the methods which we use in any historical investigation.Understanding the Scriptures
We introduce it as historical information, from a most unerring source.Ridgeway
It is a historical fact that Casanova visited Voltaire at Ferney.Casanova's Homecoming
- belonging to or typical of the study of historyhistorical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the pasthistorical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by historya historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
- a less common word for historic (def. 1)
Word Origin and History for historical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper