- to finish with an ornamental border.
- to decorate (a shrine or tabernacle) with architectural forms in miniature.
- Also called pur·fling. an ornamental border, as the inlaid border near the outer edge of the table and back of a stringed instrument.
Origin of purfle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a ruffled or curved ornamental band, as on clothing, furniture, etc
- (tr) to decorate with such a band or bands
C14: from Old French purfiler to decorate with a border, from filer to spin, from fil thread, from Latin fīlum