- an Indo-European, Iranian language that is the official language of Afghanistan and the chief vernacular of the eastern part of the nation.
Also Pushtu, Pushto.
Also Push·to [puhsh-toh] /ˈpʌʃ toʊ/.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pushto
Historical Examples of pushto
Pushtoo or Pushto, the language of the Afghans, said to be derived from the Zend, with admixtures from the neighbouring tribes.The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Edited by Rev. James Wood
- variant spellings of Pashto
- a language of Afghanistan and NW Pakistan, belonging to the East Iranian branch of the Indo-European family: since 1936 the official language of Afghanistan
- plural -to, -tos, -tu or -tus a speaker of the Pashto language; a Pathan
- denoting or relating to this language or a speaker of it
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1784, from Persian pashto (Afghan pakhto). Related: Pashtun.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper