- a controversy that is submitted to a judicial tribunal or administrative agency for decision.
- the interrogation by which information is secured.
- Obsolete. judicial examination or trial.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Words nearby question
Idioms for question
- to dispute; challenge.
- to cast doubt upon; question: This report calls into question all previous research on the subject.
- under consideration.
- in dispute.
Origin of question
SYNONYMS FOR question
OTHER WORDS FROM question
Examples from the Web for questioner
First questioner stood up and said he felt cheated because he had come to hear a physicist in a wheelchair.
In the exchange, outside of the famous Stonewall Inn, the questioner asks, "Do you still believe the West Bank is not occupied?"Anthony Weiner Stands By Claim That West Bank Isn't Occupied By Israel|Ali Gharib|June 27, 2013|DAILY BEAST
“We are praying for you with this media bias,” said one questioner.Ryan Walks Back Romney’s ‘Victim’ Talk on Leaked Video|David Freedlander|September 18, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Corzine nonetheless answered as if his questioner had the moral authority to ask.Jon Corzine Can’t Answer $1.2 Billion Question About MF Global at Hearing|Michael Daly|December 16, 2011|DAILY BEAST
After his remarks a questioner asked, "We're all ready to fight, but how do we know when we've won?"
Stephen glanced up, trying bravely to return his questioner's smile.Steve and the Steam Engine|Sara Ware Bassett
The questioner, so the Scripture records, went away sorrowful, for he had great wealth.What Shall I Be?|Rev. Francis Cassily
Thereupon the bolts were slipped back with difficulty, and the questioner appeared.Debts of Honor|Maurus Jkai
The Duke looked up at his questioner, with a sudden flash of surprise on his dark, mobile face.The Market-Place|Harold Frederic
The questioner delightedly related it afterward, laughing heartily at the compliment paid to the Legislature.Blazing The Way|Emily Inez Denny
British Dictionary definitions for questioner
- an act of asking
- an investigation into some problem or difficulty
- to avoid giving a direct answer by posing another question
- to assume the truth of that which is intended to be provedSee petitio principii
- to make (something) the subject of disagreement
- to cast doubt upon the validity, truth, etc, of (something)
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of questionquestioner, noun
Word Origin for question
usage for question
Idioms and Phrases with questioner
see ask a stupid question; beg the question; beside the point (question); beyond question; burning question; call in question; in question; leading question; loaded question; open question; out of the question; pop the question; rhetorical question; without question.