- pertaining to or consisting of five.
- arranged in fives.
- of, relating to, or noting a numerical system based on the number 5.
- a number in a quinary system.
Origin of quinary
Examples from the Web for quinary
Historical Examples of quinary
Subordinate to either one of these the quinary may and often does appear.
In its structure the quinary is the simplest, the most primitive, of the natural systems.
Associated words: quinary, quintuple, quintuplicate, quincunx.Putnam's Word Book
Louis A. Flemming
In the Mollusca circle two classes are still wanting to complete the quinary arrangement of that sub-kingdom.An Introduction to Entomology: Vol. III (of 4)
The foregoing examples will show with considerable fulness the wide dispersion of the quinary scale.
- consisting of fives or by fives
- fifth in a series
- (of a number system) having a base of five
- a set of five
Word Origin for quinary
c.1600, from Latin quinarius "consisting of five, containing five," from quint "five each" (see five).