[ rey-fee ]
/ ˈreɪ fi /

noun, plural ra·phae [rey-fee] /ˈreɪ fi/.

Anatomy. a seamlike union between two parts or halves of an organ or the like.
  1. (in certain ovules) a ridge connecting the hilum with the chalaza.
  2. a median line or slot on a cell wall of a diatom.

Nearby words

  1. rape oil,
  2. rapeseed,
  3. rapeseed oil,
  4. raphael,
  5. raphaelesque,
  6. raphe nucleus,
  7. raphe of penis,
  8. raphe of perineum,
  9. raphe of scrotum,
  10. raphia

Origin of raphe

1745–55; < New Latin < Greek rhaphḗ seam, suture, akin to rháptein to sew, stitch together

Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

British Dictionary definitions for raphae


/ (ˈreɪfɪ) /

noun plural -phae (-fiː)

an elongated ridge of conducting tissue along the side of certain seeds
a longitudinal groove on the valve of a diatom
anatomy a connecting ridge, such as that between the two halves of the medulla oblongata

Word Origin for raphe

C18: via New Latin from Greek rhaphē a seam, from rhaptein to sew together

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for raphae



"seam, suture" (medical), 1753, medical Latin, from Greek rhaphe "seam, suture (of a skull)," from rhaptein "to sew together, stitch" (see wrap).

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Medicine definitions for raphae


n. pl. ra•phae (-fē′)

A seamlike line or ridge between two similar parts of a body organ, as in the scrotum.

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Science definitions for raphae


[ rāfē′ ]

Plural raphae (fē′)

A seamlike line or ridge between two similar parts of a body organ, as in the scrotum.
The portion of the funiculus that is united to the ovule wall, commonly visible as a line or ridge on the seed coat.
A groove in the frustule of some diatoms.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.