- harsh; grating: a rasping voice.
- a tiny piece of material removed by rasping or scraping: raspings of sawed wood.
- raspings, dry bread crumbs.
Origin of rasping
Related Words for raspingsagitation, erosion, resistance, irritation, rasping, pat, swab, smear, swipe, attrition, friction, abrasion, caress, wear, grinding, polish, wipe, shine, scouring, stroking
Examples from the Web for raspings
Historical Examples of raspings
Raspings can be used, but they should be rubbed through a wire sieve.The Skilful Cook
In the latter case, the quantity of water and raspings must be doubled.A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes
Charles Elm Francatelli
Powder with bread crumbs, or raspings, and with more grated cheese.Cakes & Ale
It is then served with raspings or with glazing, the rind having first been taken off neatly.The Cook's Oracle; and Housekeeper's Manual
The raspings were then passed between rollers, macerated in hot water, and well churned.The Atlantic Telegraph
William Howard Russell
- browned breadcrumbs for coating fish and other foods before frying, baking, etc
- (esp of a noise) harsh or grating; rough