- an act or instance of exploring or investigating; examination.
- the investigation of unknown regions.
Origin of exploration
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act or process of exploring
- med examination of an organ or part for diagnostic purposes
- an organized trip into unfamiliar regions, esp for scientific purposes; expedition
Word Origin and History for re-exploration
1540s, from Middle French exploration and directly from Latin explorationem (nominative exploratio), noun of action from past participle stem of explorare (see explore).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- An active examination, usually involving endoscopy or a surgical procedure, to determine conditions present as an aid in diagnosis.