- an act or instance of exploring or investigating; examination.
- the investigation of unknown regions.
Origin of exploration
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act or process of exploring
- med examination of an organ or part for diagnostic purposes
- an organized trip into unfamiliar regions, esp for scientific purposes; expedition
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1540s, from Middle French exploration and directly from Latin explorationem (nominative exploratio), noun of action from past participle stem of explorare (see explore).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- An active examination, usually involving endoscopy or a surgical procedure, to determine conditions present as an aid in diagnosis.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.