- made in advance for sale to any purchaser, rather than to order: a ready-made coat.
- made for immediate use.
- unoriginal; conventional.
- something that is ready-made, as a garment or a piece of furniture or equipment.
Origin of ready-made
- an everyday manufactured object, as a bottle rack, a snow shovel, a urinal, or a comb, that may by the creative act of selection and designation by an artist attain status as a work of art: associated almost exclusively with the aesthetic activities of Marcel Duchamp during the period 1915 to 1917.
Origin of readymade
Related Words for ready-madebuilt, instant, off-the-rack, prefabricated, common, commonplace, conventional, dull, routine, stock, uninspired
Examples from the Web for ready-made
Contemporary Examples of ready-made
This is a provocative subject that is ready-made for the classroom.Dr. King Goes to Hollywood: The Flawed History of ‘Selma’
January 2, 2015
The dress bizarrely burdened Hurley with a ready-made character to play up to, which she did without overt complaint.Happy 20th Birthday, Liz Hurley’s Safety-Pin Dress
December 12, 2014
Ozinga Brothers Illinois-based producer of ready-made concrete.After Hobby Lobby, These 82 Corporations Could Drop Birth Control Coverage
June 30, 2014
We would have had a ready-made alternative, as we would have had, too, for 2018.Let's Take Away the 2018 World Cup from Putin's Russia
June 10, 2014
In Warhol it found its self-image, ready-made for idolatry and mockery.Why We Can’t Stop Talking About Andy Warhol
March 9, 2014
Historical Examples of ready-made
Rice-puddings can be grown, ready-made, by sowing rice with cowcumbers.
His clothes, too, had the look of having come from an English ready-made shop.The Avenger
E. Phillips Oppenheim
Marsh's clothes were cheap and ready-made, and they seemed to be a size too large for him.Changing Winds
St. John G. Ervine
This was the development of the ready-made clothing industry.The Age of Invention
He was glad he had not told her that his new dress suit was ready-made.The Portygee
Joseph Crosby Lincoln
- made for purchase and immediate use by any customera ready-made jacket
- extremely convenient or ideally suiteda ready-made solution
- unoriginal or conventionalready-made phrases
- a ready-made article, esp a garment