- repeated or habitual relapse, as into crime.
- Psychiatry. the chronic tendency toward repetition of criminal or antisocial behavior patterns.
Origin of recidivism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- habitual relapse into crime
C19: from Latin recidīvus falling back, from re- + cadere to fall
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for recidivous
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A tendency to lapse into a previous pattern of behavior, especially a pattern of criminal habits.
- The relapse of a disease or symptom.recidivation
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.