- (in the army) a major administrative and tactical unit, larger than a regiment or brigade and smaller than a corps: it is usually commanded by a major general.
- (in the navy) a number of ships, usually four, forming a tactical group that is part of a fleet or squadron.
Words nearby division
Origin of division
SYNONYMS FOR division
OTHER WORDS FROM division
synonym study for division
Examples from the Web for redivision
For ten years Mr. Reiner lived in Boone, then a redivision of the road brought him back to this city.History of Linn County Iowa|Luther A. Brewer
But redivision of the arable is not seen in the documents of our period.Villainage in England|Paul Vinogradoff
The provincial assembly would be summoned every year to decide the budget and the redivision of taxes.The Balkan Peninsula|Frank Fox
British Dictionary definitions for redivision
- army a major formation, larger than a regiment or brigade but smaller than a corps, containing the necessary arms to sustain independent combat
- navy a group of ships of similar type or a tactical unit of naval aircraft
- air force an organization normally comprising two or more wings with required support units